Monday, May 21, 2012

Homeschooling through illness and injuries

The word on my leg/knee has not been good.  It seems with each review that the prognosis is worse.  The latest is that I have likely torn the anterior cruciate ligament and the postierior cruciate ligament as well as damaged to the 2 collateral ligaments.  My knee is about as stable as a bowl full of jello when I try to stand on it.  Although I have never wished challenges on my sons I am very grateful that we have so many assistve devices already available in our house.   The walker, stair lift and grab bars have been invaluable.  I also have a loaner brace to keep my knee going the right direction until I get a permanent one.  Now I just have to catch up on all the sleep i have missed in the last few weeks.

The boys have been amazing.  I am so proud of how they have pulled together to keep the household going.  They have swept floors, done dishes, all the laundry has been caught up, vaccuming was done...the list goes on.  The actual amount of school work completed has not been up to the normal expectations but these have not been normal times.  The life skills that have been enhanced this week are invaluable.  Hopefully the coming week will bring some much over due calm so that they can get back to their regular learning.  There have been many blips in the schedule over the last 2 months so we will likely continue with "homeschool light" over the summer to keep things going.

Of course nothing is straightforward at our household...After a couple more days in an out of town hospital where a drain was put in my husband was discharged home with nursing support.  I did not feel that my husband was really well enough to come home yet but he was released on Friday.  Consuming foods and fluids have been a huge problem.  Today he finally managed some "real food" in small quanities but he managed it!  Tomorrow we should find out when he has to go back for the next ct scan.

Through all of this we have been blessed by the support of our family, church friends, ministry staff, homeschool friends and neighbours who have come to our rescue with prayers, meals, shopping aid, rides, and help with yard work.  There is nothing like a tough time to help you truly appreciate how blessed you are with special people in your life.  The road back to normal won't likely be as smooth as we would like and we may need to find a new normal but we will keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment